You must have heard that a sugar or sugary diet can cause dental cavities, gum diseases, and enamel erosion. Well, sugar can surely lead you straight to a whole host of oral problems. Still, one particular sweet treat may play a positive role in improving oral health and treating periodontal diseases – Manuka honey.
Raw and pure Manuka honey, with the maximum UMF and MGO rating, acts as a highly effective weapon against tooth decay, gingivitis, plaques, halitosis, and periodontitis. Make this delicious honey a part of your oral hygiene routine, and lets your gums and teeth thank you.
Pharmacist Gemma Fromage explains, “Although the idea of consuming honey for good oral health may seem counterintuitive, unlike sweets and other refined sugars, manuka honey’s potent antibacterial effects make it unlikely to contribute to cavities or tooth decay."
12 Surprising Oral Health Benefits of Manuka Honey
Manuka honey is a strong anti-inflammatory agent that significantly reduces toothache-related pain, tenderness, and swelling. It makes you suffer less from gingivitis by alleviating inflammation. The antiseptic properties of honey may help treat excessive bleeding and receding gums as it doesn’t create an acidic demineralising environment inside the mouth.
Talking about its ability to reduce tooth decay, it minimises the risk of oral infections as well as gum diseases with its antiviral actions. Keep your mouth free of viruses with honey!
In addition to relieving inflammation, it may break down plaque (the root cause of tooth decay) and clean your teeth – thanks to its antibacterial qualities. Various peer-reviewed journals support the fact that medical-grade, pure, and unprocessed Manuka honey can fight or neutralise nearly 60 species of harmful oral bacteria and is the greatest eliminator of stubborn gum disease.
Prized as an all-natural healer, this super antioxidant-rich honey gives you fresher breath and whiter, healthier teeth by eradicating all mouth impurities.
Always buy the most natural, unprocessed honey to enjoy its remarkable therapeutic properties. Let’s have a quick overview of its benefits:1. Honey has appraise-worthy healing properties which benefit you after tooth extraction. A 2019 studyproved how brilliantly the consistent use of honey could not only decrease the wound size but also let the wound heal faster, particularly in children.
2. Using Manuka will strengthen your immunity which benefits your teeth and gums.
3. Regular use of honey helps prevent oral and gum infections. It directly attacks, traps, and kills the harmful, teeth-deteriorating oral bacteria responsible for gum inflammation, plaque development, and painful dental cavities.
4. Manuka honey has the potential use in treating dry socketsand the associated pain and inflammation. You must apply a honey dressing over the exposed nerves and bone.
5. It may give short-term, temporary relief from toothache.
6. Raw honey controls plaque formationby hindering the development of biofilms. Honey breaks down the layers of bacteria growing on your teeth’s surfaces to keep gingivitis and other gum diseases at bay by killing P. gingivalis and A. actinomycetemcomitans (bacteria responsible for forming biofilm layers). Practice regular brushing and flossing to keep the plaques from getting stuck in the teeth' crevices.
7. Pure honey can control bacterial growthand reduce it to significant levels to treat gingivitis.
8. It acts gentle on oral tissue and helps the wound recover faster with its exceptional healing properties.
9. Cleansing the mouth with Manuka honey will take out a harmful deposit on the teeth surface or building around the gums.
10. Per the scientific trials, honey fights against dental carries/cavities, tooth decay, and gum disease experienced after orthodontic treatmentsby eliminating resistant bacterial strains.
11. If you are being treated for dry mouth, have some Manuka honey.
12. Honey makes the best natural remedy to get rid of halitosis. It can reduce bad-smelling breath caused due to certain foods, tobacco use or smoking, poor oral hygiene, dry mouth, or oral infections. Halitosis is caused due to bad bacteria, and Manuka eradicates bad bacteria with strong antibacterial actions. A study performed by Tsurumi University’s Department of Oral Bacteriology, School of Dental Medicine, explained a decrease in mouth odour after consistent consumption of Manuka honey. Acacia honey can also be helpful, but Manuka is stronger.
Honey for Gum Infections & Diseases
Do you know nearly 95% of adults experience periodontal complications of mild to extreme severity at least one time in their lives? The best way to prevent gingivitis and control inflammation is to either kill the bad bacteria or hinder its production/growth.
A study published in the Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy determined, “Honey showed a significant antimicrobial activity against all targeted periopathogens. Additional experiments are required to explore the entire antimicrobial spectrum of honey towards all pathogens involved in periodontal disease.”
Manuka honey with higher MGO ratings and UMF has the ability to fight against oral disease-causing bacteria. It stops bacterial growth by reducing the amount of acid production inside the mouth and ultimately disturbing the required acidic environment bacteria needs to produce dextran (a glue that lets bacteria stick to the tooth). Honey mixed with water produces ‘hydrogen peroxide with the help of glucose oxidase (enzyme). Hydrogen peroxide gives honey its antimicrobial property.
According to Dr. Peter C. Molan of the University of Waikato in New Zealand, not all but only particular honey varieties can prevent dental cavities and decay as they have stronger antimicrobial potency. Applying honey directly on the inflamed or infected area will flush out harmful bacteria. Using honey for painful gums is a recommended practice.
How Can You Use Honey for Oral Health
Are you curious to know the ways to make Manuka honey a part of your dental hygiene routine?
- Homemade toothpaste(olive oil, Manuka honey, castile soap, essential oils).
- Have a tiny blot of honey on the toothbrush.
- Mix Manuka honey with warm water and ‘swish, gargle, rinse’ as a mouthwash.
- Apply Manuka directly on the receding, infected, swollen, or bleeding gums as a geland leave it on for a few minutes.
Specialty Manuka Honey with Essential Nutrients
Nature’s Blends' sweet-scented, super antioxidant-rich, and pure Manuka Honey range promotes good health as it comes loaded with natural pollen, bioactive, and enzymes. Add it to your smoothies, cuisines, or salads to double the deliciousness!
With a smooth and rich texture, we present our raw honey unfiltered, unprocessed, and unheated to maintain its natural nutrient profile and antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Its healing potential cannot go unnoticed - a spoonful of raw manuka honey will effectively counter plaque, reduce the risk of gingivitis, keep skin healthy, energise you instantly, and boost immunity.